Who we are
The Community’s Purpose
The Sleek Community, one of the largest corporate communities in Kenya, stretching out to East and Central Africa, was established in 2016. We aim to transform lives and build communities through funding sustainable projects which leave an impact. We have invested heavily in education, health, economic empowerment, environment, nature, disaster and emergency interventions.
Our mission is to build communities and transform lives.
To inspire and build a generation that is focused on sustainable development by young people
The following values drive our thoughts, words and actions:
- Think and Act
- Move with Speed.
More about US!
How We Work
The Community works with several partners and grantees with the focal point being on 17 focus areas guided by the principles of the 17 global goals. The Community has a unit expert to lead the implementation of each specific area taking an angle of reaching out, influencing and integrating more young people to act on SDGs.
The Community’s work is underpinned by the following core principles:
- Economically empowering: Striving to ensure that across all its programme areas the investments it makes contributes to economically empowering communities to eradicate poverty;
- Sustainable: Striving for sustainability in all areas of its work – the Community is investing for long term change;
- Able to leverage mobile technology: Striving to leverage mobile technology to increase the impact of funding;
- Gender sensitive: Striving to ensure that the investments that the Community makes provide equal enjoyment by women, men, girls and boys of rights, opportunities, resources and rewards;
- Rights based: Striving to ensure that the ultimate aim of the Community’s philanthropic investments is the realization of rights of women, men, girls and boys, as articulated in the constitution of the Republic of Kenya and regional and international conventions and declarations.
- Results focused: Striving to ensure that the Community only invests in programmes and activities that achieve measurable results
These principles are applied in all of the Community’s work and underpin its aspirations to contribute to tackling the critical social, economic and environmental challenges facing Kenya.
The Community’s grantees and partners are at the core of its mission and work. The Community also knows that it its thematic areas of focus, partnerships offer the Community several advantages including increased efficiency, increased effectiveness, stakeholder engagement and ownership. The Community is therefore committed to forging high-impact public-private partnerships with new and existing partners that leverage new resources and expertise to expand the reach and impact of its work. In particular, it looks to establishing five types of high impact partnerships:
- Funding partnerships in which it partners with other Communities, donors and the private sector to manage their funding for investments in its areas of focus, leveraging its grant making systems and access to implementing partners;
- Co-funding partnerships in which it will partner with organizations to co-fund particular investments in its areas of focus;
- Implementation partnerships in which it will partner with organizations who will utilize its investments to achieve particular outcomes in our areas of focus;
- Advisory partnerships in which it will partner with organizations to leverage their knowledge and technical leadership in a particular thematic area;
- Policy and advocacy partnerships in which it will partner with organizations to advocate for conducive policy environment that enables the achievement of particular outcomes in our areas of focus.
Our Strategic Direction
We endeavor to support diverse community needs without compromising quality, results and impact.
Our Strategic Direction
Our strategic direction is based on the following:
- Making a sustainable contribution towards the provision of health care, education and water for the people of Kenya.
- Providing sustainable support for the preservation of the Kenyan environment and the management of her natural resources.
- Driving forward the economic empowerment of the Kenyan nation.
- The preservation and promotion of Kenya’s national heritage in terms of arts and culture.
- Providing timely responses to any national emergencies that may occur.
- Providing a forum whereby the sleek employees may interact with, be inspired by, and provide support for the many community initiatives identified by the Community.
- Influencing innovation and best practice in the broader Corporate Social Responsibility agenda.
We strive to be the most admired and respected corporate Community in Kenya.
Support to a wide range of community initiatives
The Community maintains a broad approach towards responding to community needs as is reflected by our strategic direction. We endeavor to support diverse community needs without compromising quality, results and impact.
Wide reach – ‘A footprint in every part of Kenya’
The Community aims to spread its ‘wings’ of support to all regions and locations in Kenya and therefore have a footprint throughout the country.
The Community will seek to support projects that have potential to achieve positive, long- term, social, economic and environmental impact without jeopardizing the needs of future generations.
Support to both short and long term projects
We will support a variety of projects that address different short and long-term needs of the communities around us. This will vary from small community projects to large-scale and long-term projects.
We will partner with United Nations agencies, philanthropists, governments and non-profit organizations in undertaking specific projects that are priority to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.